Project Profile: Animal Shelter Upgrades Flooring System to Meet Environmental Demands
Yavapai Humane Society in Prescott, Ariz. wanted to upgrade the bare concrete floors in its 1,200 sq. ft. kennel area with high-performance flooring that could stand up to heavy foot and animal traffic, spills, cleaning chemicals and more.
B&M Painting, Inc. specializes in interior and exterior house painting, commercial painting, concrete floor coatings, stucco and drywall repairs.
To show its support of the Yavapai Humane Society’s work in the animal community, B&M Painting volunteered to resurface the facility’s floors free of charge.
B&M Painting worked with APF to identify the following high-performance flooring system:
- Oil Stop Primer - Oil Stop Primer is a low viscosity, 100% solids resin designed for use as a primer on concrete that is contaminated with hydrocarbons, such as motor oil, solvents, cutting oils and hydraulics fluids.
- Epoxy 550 – Epoxy 500 is designed as a base coat for color chip flooring. It is formulated with unusually high pigment loading, which makes for excellent substrate hide in a one-coat application. B&M Painting used ¼ inch marble chips in this installation.
- Cem-Seal – Cem-Seal is a water-based acrylic emulsion used in a variety of decorative concrete applications, including color chip flooring. It is available in both clear and pigmented formulations, dries quickly, and is high in solids. Cem-Seal forms hard coating films, resists blushing, and provides excellent resistance to yellowing in exterior applications.
- Polyurethane 100 – Polyurethane 100 is a two-component, high solids aliphatic polyurethane that is designed to be a high-performance topcoat in various protective coating and seamless flooring applications. It provides maximum cleanability and stain resistance when used as a finish coat in color chip flooring or epoxy quartz flooring.
- Sani-Wall™ Wall Coating – Sani-Wall provides a seamless, high-gloss, durable wall surface that is easy to clean. It is ideal for a variety of institutional and industrial applications.
- Epoxy 400 – Epoxy 400 is a low viscosity, 100% solids resin system used in a variety of flooring applications. This material cures blush-free and provides an outstanding balance of physical strength, flexibility and chemical resistance.
To prepare the concrete for flooring installation, B&M Painting pressure washed and ground the floor. Next, they applied Oil Stop Primer to remove any contamination, and followed with a full broadcast system of Epoxy 550 with ¼ inch marble chips and Cem-Seal. They finished off the floor with a clear coat of Polyurethane 100. They coated the facility’s walls in Sani-Wall and Epoxy 400 to create a durable, easy-to-clean surface.
B&M Painting is proud to do their part to help Yavapai Humane Society give animals a new outlook on life.